Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I Have a Dream, Too

Today is the 50th annoversary of the Civil Rights march on Washington, when Dr. Martin Luther King gave his iconic "I have a dream" speech.  And while it cannot be argued that we as a nation have made strides in racial relations, much work needs to be done.

But race aside, I thought this would be a good day to reflect on my dreams for this country.  I love America, it is my home, but I can still love it and find fault.  Parents do it all the time with their kids.  And like a concerned parent, I want what's best for my country, I want to see it succeed, and I want it to have a bright future.

That said, here's my take on this:
  • I have a dream that one day our greatness as a nation will not be measured by the strength of our army but by our ability to care for our own.
  • I have a dream that the education our children need will be provided for them free of charge, for as far as they wish to go in school.
  • I have a dream where the health of our citizens is a higher priority than how much money can be made from it.
  • I have a dream where the rights of other to live freely and without judgement or interference is absolute, provided that no harm is being done.
  • I have a dream where "liberty and justice for all" is taken seriously.
  • I have a dream that someday we care more about the environment than we do about profits.
  • I have a dream that racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia are bad memories.
  • I have a dream where people keep their religions to themselves.
  • I have a dream that someday teachers' salaries are consistent with the level of training, time and dedication it takes.
  • I have a dream where people turn off their televisions, computers, etc., and go outside for some fresh air, make new friends and organically interact with their fellow man.
  • I have a dream where our military is only employed to defend our own borders, coastlines and air space.  I want to live in a country that does not see itself as the hall monitor of the world.
  • I have a dream where diplomacy is recognized as the most effective tool for resolving conflicts.
What is your dream?

No comments: